Have you ever thought about medicating your pet with something from your medicine cabinet in the hopes of avoiding a vet visit? DON'T DO IT!!! Many of the over-the-counter medications that are safe for humans are toxic to dogs and cats and even a small amount can be life-threatening. Things like aspiring, ibuprofin, etc. are all very dangerous for our pets. Also, make sure those medications are locked away safely in a place where the animals can't reach them. A client of mine left a package of Imodium by her bedside table and when she came home from work, the package was empty and obviously had been chewed by one of her dogs. She called the Animal Poison hotline and was given instructions on what to do. Fortunately, after throwing up, the dog was fine, but it was a very frightening experience for her.
If your dog or cat is ill, take them to the veterinarian and let them decide what medications are right for your pet. Don't play Doctor ...play Parent.