Mission Valley Pet Sitting Services - We treat your pets like MVP'S              760-644-0289
MVP Blog

A Sad Goodbye

On Saturday, I took a kitty that was very ill to the Moreno Pet Hospital here in San Diego. The cat was 10 years old and belonged to one of my dog-walking clients. About 10  days before I took him in, he had started to show some unusual behavior. He wasn't eating much and was doing a lot of hiding in the closet, which he normally never does. As he began losing some of his mobility, my clients took him in to their regular veterinarian in City Heights. She was told it was a neurological problem and that they would need to do more diagnostic tests to figure out what was wrong. Makes perfect sense but the cost of the tests were far too much for my client to pay. (My client is on social welfare and I do her dog walks pro bono.) She felt her only alternative was to put him down.

I suggested  that I take the kitty to another veterinary clinic for a second opinion. Morena Veterinary Hospital was able to fit us in on Saturday. I took the very ill kitty, who was now almost completely unable to move or control his back limbs, in to see the them. They did an exam and said they needed to do some more diagnostics. The basic tests were less costly than the other clinic and I told them to proceed. I was hoping they would find something we could cure or certainly manage that would give the kitty back his quality of life.
Unfortunately, while they were waiting for the test results, the kitty went into respiratory distress and had to be put on oxygen. The veterinarian, Dr. Crystal Steib, who was absolutely wonderful, came to talk to me and suggested that whatever was going on with him was obviously quite severe, and that he was suffering. Knowing the financial situation of my client, she suggested euthanasia. I called my client and told her the sad news. She told them to go ahead. She didn't want her sweet cat to suffer. I asked to please be present with the kitty during the procedure as his mom wasn't able to be there with him. The staff were great. They presented me with the bill and showed me they had taken off the cost of the tests and were only charging me for the exam and the euthanization. They were sensitive enough to let me pay before the procedure as they knew I would want to leave right after.
They wheeled him into the exam room where I was waiting.I held his little paw and weeped at his passing. I told him how much he was loved and would be missed. When it was all over, they closed his eyes and wrapped him gently so I could take him home to his mom and his brothers and sisters so they could say their goodbyes.
I didn;t know this kitty very well. I only saw him occasionally when I went to walk the dog, but I realized the sadness I felt at his loss was very personal and very deep. You see, it doesn't matter who the animal lives with or belongs to,  when one of them dies it hurts us all.
May your soul rest in peace little fellow.

15 Comments to A Sad Goodbye:

Comments RSS
Mary on Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:19 PM
I was there when you came in. I am sorry about the little kitty, and your clients loss. Thank you for having the courage & love to stay with him, in his final hours. I was there today, Sadly doing the same thing, with the big black dog, I was waiting in the Lobby with when you were there Saturday. Parting is soo hard, and I am sure you made a kind difference for an animal in his parting!!

Damin martin on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 9:33 PM
I'm shocked by reading this post. :( poop bags

china android tablets on Sunday, January 06, 2013 7:59 PM
a review of its use in surgery and other indications which might be expressed by brands renowned for quality

MEIZU MX on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 10:42 PM
Thank you for your post, write well, looking forward to your next post's arrival, to force... close

Star N9330 on Thursday, January 17, 2013 12:48 AM
its a lovely web site ,i would like it , I am glad that you simply shared this helpful information with us. iwill be back soon.

buy china tablet on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:52 AM
This post was very well written, and it also contains a lot of useful facts. I enjoyed your distinguished way of writing the post. Thanks, you have made it easy for me to understand.

www.creativebioscience.com on Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:40 AM
Determine how much elder care costs. Prices vary depending on the type of elder care a person is choosing; some or all expenses may be covered by insurance or Medicare. Family and friends need to know how much they can afford for whatever service they are planning to use. Thanks.

www.weightlosspunch.com on Monday, February 04, 2013 4:07 AM
Running the same course several times gives the student more time to adapt to the various challenges and can help increase overall spatial awareness for the future. Thanks.

cubot a8809 on Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:29 PM
Android Tablet PC becomes more popular and powerful, owe an affordable Tablet PC is neccesary. In Newfreeshipping you can buy best Cheap China Android Tablets. China Android Tablets we provide are from famous Chinese brands, such as ICOO, EKEN, ONDA, Ainol, etc. You can choose from from their CPU, size, OS, and price. Cheap Android Tablets, high quality and powerful. Different functions meet different needs, different prices custom for different capacity to pay buyers. Choose from these powerful Tablet PC, there must be one suitable for you.

Zipper Decorative black heels on Friday, February 22, 2013 2:24 AM
I really like this website, and I hope to see new content on this website, hoping to notify me when I'll be back.

gameinformer.com on Friday, March 01, 2013 12:40 AM
Did you know that 1 out of 3 dogs will get cancer during their lifetime and 1 out of 2 dogs over the age of 10 will die from it? Those are terrifying statistics and we need to do something about it.

feed mill manufacturer on Monday, March 04, 2013 10:55 PM
Feed mill machine, widely used in large, small, aquaculture, food feed processing plants, livestock farms, poultry farms, individual farmers and small and medium sized farms, farms, small or large, feed processing plants.

USB WIFI Adapter on Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:38 PM
H Good post.This is a very nice blog I wonder why the other of this sector do not notice this. am sure this post has helped me save many hours of browsing other similar posts just to find what I was looking for. Thanks!

saffron extract benefits on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 4:22 AM
Educate yourself by looking at what you are eating. Eat the rainbow. The brighter the color, the more antioxidants the food contains, and thus the better the choice. These are tips that you can use anywhere in the world from a plane to your office to a fast food restaurant. Open up your eyes and your mind to how healthy life can be. Thanks.

Sealing Shrinking Packager on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 7:02 PM
Pets is a social problem, and I hope to get a good deal, more and more people concerned about this issue, the government also need to set up the corresponding departments to deal with it