I just received from the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University a list of the essential first aid supplies you should have on hand as a dog owner. I am sharing that list with you here:
1) Gauze, sterile pads, and vet wrap, a self-clinging elastic wrap - all can be used to wrap a wound.
3) Styptic pencil or powder to stop a nail from bleeding.
4) Tweezers or forceps to remove splinters, ticks, etc.
5) Triple antibiotic treatment to inhibit bacterial growth and infection.
6) Antiseptic to help prevent infection in minor cuts and to disinfect minor wounds.
7) Hydro cortisone cream to reduce itching caused by insect bites and allergies.
8) Diphenhydramine, an antihistamine for allergic reactions.
9) Cold pack to reduce swelling.
10) Eyewash to rinse foreign objects and dust from eyes.
11) Hydrogen peroxide (10%) to induce vomiting in case of poisoning.
( Always check with veterinarian or poison control before use).
12) Antiseptic wipes.
13) Alcohol prep pads to clean scissors or tweezers before use.
15) Latex gloves.
16) A ready list of emergency health-care provider phone numbers.
Having the right materials on hand may be able to forestall complications or ward off an emergency.