Mission Valley Pet Sitting Services - We treat your pets like MVP'S              760-644-0289
MVP Blog

Getting high with a little help from my friends

With all the cats I visited over the Christmas holidays I had many fun and interesting experiences. One was watching cats who were exposed to catnip.
Catnip is the common name for an herb native to Europe that is part of the mint family. It now grows here in North America all over the place.
Most of us who are the parents of kitties are familiar with the reaction our cats have to it. Following inhaling catnip, behavioral changes often make the cat appear intoxicated. It will roll around in the catnip, kick at it, lick it, vocalize and often appear quite euphoric.The reaction may last several minutes and then the cat will simply walk away. It may take a few hours before another exposure creates the reaction all over again.
The cause of this response is a chemical in catnip called nepetalactone. Only about 85% of cats are sensitive to this chemical and the sensitivity is inherited. The other 15% of cats will not have any reaction whatsoever. Interestingly, just as some humans can act aggressive when intoxicated, so can some cats exposed and sensitive to catnip. If this happens to your feline, future exposure  should be avoided.
If your cat has a positive response to catnip you can consider growing it yourself so you have a steady, natural, supply. It can also be purchased as a dry herb or in toys that are catnip filled.
The benefits of giving your kitty catnip are : 1) it can help them to relax, 2) it can encourage exercise in a sedate cat; 3) it can be used in training by sprinkling it on a scratchboard to encourage the kitty to scratch that instead of the furniture; and 4) it is a great source of amusement for us as we watch our "furry kids" get high and have fun.

2 Comments to Getting high with a little help from my friends:

Comments RSS
UMI X2 Smart Phone on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 2:38 AM
Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I have truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts.
Reply to comment


Kamagra Supplies on Monday, January 28, 2013 3:13 AM
It's really pleasure to read your post. Thank you so much for writing such a nice post.
Reply to comment

Add a Comment

Your Name:
Email Address: (Required)
Website:
Comment:
Make your text bigger, bold, italic and more with HTML tags. We'll show you how.
Post Comment
RSS Follow Become a Fan

Delivered by FeedBurner


Recent Posts

How Long Should you leave your cat alone?
Plastic Liners in Litter Boxes
Misleading Pet Food Websites
Companion Animal Nutrition and Wellness Institute
NO DOGS LEFT IN CARS

Categories

Continuing Pet Care
General Information
On A Personal Note
Responsible Pet Parenting

Archives

June 2017
May 2017
April 2017
March 2017
February 2017
January 2017
December 2016
January 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015
August 2015
July 2015
June 2015
May 2015
April 2015
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011

powered by