I received this article in a newsletter I received this am from the Animal Dermatology Clinic. I want to share it with you.
" It was written by Veterinary Pet Insurance. (VPI) has written a helpful guide of their top five holiday dangers to pets. VPI is the largest pet insurance company and has seen it’s share of claims when it comes to the holiday season and pets.
Tinsel and ornaments are eye-catching objects to pets and although tinsel itself is not toxic, these metallic strands could be ingested and become entangled in the intestines possibly resulting in death. Ornaments can be knocked down and shatter if they are glass, creating a hazard for paws. Sharp edges may lacerate your pet’s mouth, throat or intestines.
Candles and holiday lighting should be kept out of pets’ reach. Lighting strands can be pulled down or cords can be chewed which can cause serious mouth burns or possible death. Candles can topple which may result in house fire or hot wax burning pets’ paws. Never leave a lighted candle unattended.
Gift wrap ribbon can be ingested causing intestinal problems and potentially a visit to the emergency room. Although it is colorful and festive, ribbon should not be used to wrap around your pet to create a choking hazard.
Food. Holiday food abounds and pets are enticed by the aromas of sweet and savory treats. The general consensus is that pets should not be fed table scraps but certainly avoiding chocolate, nuts and fat trimmings should be placed on your watch list. Let visitors know that pets are not to be fed, no matter how much they beg or look cute.
Holiday plants such as pine trees, poinsettias, holly, mistletoe and indoor bulbs are seasonal items that may intrigue pets leading them to be eaten. The impact could be anywhere from oral irritation to vomiting to collapse.
Take care in creating a safe environment for your pet to help ensure that all members of the household have a happy and safe holiday season.
Source: Veterinary Pet Insurance.
Take this advice to heart and have a happy safe holidays season with your pets.