In the September issue of "The Whole Dog Journal", Marcy Straus writes about the benefits of adding fish oil to your dog's diet. I have added it to my cats' diets and found many of the same benefits for them.
The benefits she listed are:
- improving the coat and skin
- reducing inflammation due to arthritis, allergies, and inflammatory bowel syndrome
- regulating the immune system, boosting those that are suppressed and calming overactive immune systems for dogs with allergies or autoimmune diseases
- aiding in mental development of fetuses and puppies, and improving cognitive function in older dogs
- lowering blood pressure and triglycerides
- providing support for dogs with kidney disease, heart disease, and cancer
- promoting weight loss in overweight dogs
Ms Straus cautions that the fish oil should be properly stored and purchased in small quantities to avoid it going rancid. For the complete very informative article refer to the September 2012 issue of The Whole Dog Journal. www.whole-dog-journal.com/cs.