According to KPIX-5 in San Francisco, California has moved into the number one spot for dogs being treated for poisoning by ingesting marijuana. What used to be an incident once or twice a month, has increased to 3 or 4 times a week.
The State of Washington is second, New York is third and Colorado is now 4th. It is believed that due to the legalization of pot for medicinal purposes, there is a lot more of it around and it isn't being kept away safely from our dogs.
Eating marijuana is extremely dangerous for canines. It can not only make them very ill but can cause death.
I am a supporter of legalizing marijuana for medicinal purposes, but it is essential for users to be responsible and to ensure that it is kept well out of the reach of their dogs. Like any other prescription medicine, it is not designed for dogs and has very serious effects on them.
If you have marijuana in your home, please be sure to keep it out of the reach of your dogs at all times. If you dog does accidentally eat it, get him or her to the vet right away for treatment.